Saturday, August 15

Portrait of the Artist (in the details)

So my last few posts have been about the home of Catherine Chung, a jewelry designer and fine artist in New York City. She has all these wonderful little tools and objects lying around, and I have no idea what most of them are for. I like these pastel sawtooth blades....

Bird feet in the foreground, birdlike Catherine in the background, lounging in a shape not unlike the feet! Hm.

Around the apartment are tiny little figures, some in artwork, others, like these, hatching from little homes. More of these guys to come...

...Piggies...

"I love ropes and fibers," says Catherine. The bunch below is white Mongolian horsehair. She bought it online from a company that sells it for violin bows, and she experimented using it in jewelry.

She bought this beast-of-burden tie after a four-day trek in the Ladakh region of the Himalayas. "It's my favorite place in the world," she says. "Lunar landscapes."


2 comments:

  1. Bird feet, people hatching, piggies!
    :-o

    !

    And I still feel inspired to go ahead and create jewellery again :D

    ReplyDelete