Thursday, August 6

Egilsson Kitchen & the Sweater Napkin

Even in Iceland, the kitchen is the heart of the home, or it was at this party. It's also where all the drinks were, so...

This house has the most beautiful views from all sides. Below is another window drawing by one of the kids. The old Buick sits out front. Have you seen the dark and strange film A Little Trip to Heaven, by Icelandic director Baltasar Kormákur? The barren landscape in this area reminds me of where that movie was shot (wherever that was, I'm not sure), though it's supposed to be set in Minnesota. Having been to both places in the snow, the film looks much more Icelandic than it does Minnesotan. But you be the judge.

A few posts ago, I wrote about my to-buy-or-not-to-buy struggle with the Icelandic sweater. The entire time I was there, I imagined how it could--if it would--actually work in my wardrobe. Then, at the party, I saw a stack of napkins with the traditional Icelandic-sweater pattern, and I sighed the biggest relief, for I knew at that moment if the style had made its way onto a dinner napkin (and with such success!), it was no longer something I could wear, in New York, with a straight face. Know what I mean?


2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for your comments on my photos ... very much appreciated!

    this is a pretty original looking blog you have here, I'm going to have a good look around!!

    jonas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the drawing on the window...i'm gonna have to break out some paint and give it a go...

    ReplyDelete